Sunday, April 22, 2012

Einstein's take on God


The following quotations are from a letter Einstein wrote to philosopher Eric Gutkind.  The letter was sold by Bloomsbury auctions on May 15th, 2008.   The letter expresses Einstein's view of religion and the Jewish People.

POP1
Superstition:

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses: the Bible a connection of honorable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish."


"For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions."

POP2
Of the "Chosen People" he says:

"The Jewish People to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people.  As far as my experience goes, they are also no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by lack of power, otherwise I cannot see anything "chosen" about them."

POP3
Einstein's God


"I do not believe in the God of theology who rewards good and punishes evil.  My God created laws that take care of that.  His universe is not ruled by wishful thinking, but by immutable laws."

"...there is some kind of intelligence working its way through nature.  But it is certainly not a conventional Christian or Judaic religious view."




No comments:

Post a Comment